Thursday, September 11, 2008

Brazil gets first win over China in men's wheelchair basketball

Brazil snapped their four-match losing streak by outplaying China 65-46 in a group B preliminary game of the Paralympic wheelchair basketball on Thursday at the National Indoor Stadium.

Brazil dominated the winless Chinese team, scoring 40 points in the paint and grabbing 42 rebounds.

Guard Everaldo Lima was the Brazilian team's highest scorer with 20 points, one point more than teammate Leandro Mirando. Mirando, a centre, had the most rebounds of 18 in the game.

Centre Ding Hai was the top-scoring player of the game with 24 points, but inaccurate ball handling cost China 18 turnovers.

"My teammates and I cooperated well. They kept passing me the ball and I got chances to score," said Ding.

On playing for a club in Spain, Ding said: "I gained a lot of experience there and I am working on my Spanish. Life in Spain is not bad."

"I haven't been home for two years, so I want to go home to stay with my parents. My mother will make dumplings, which are my favourite," said Ding for next plan.

China finished their preliminary matches with a record of 0-5.

Both teams missed spot in quarterfinals and will play in the classification round on Friday at the National Indoor Stadium.

Winners of the two classification matches will play for 9th and 10th place on Tuesday. Losers will play for 11th and 12th place on Sunday.

Source:Xinhua

No comments: